Resources and other subjects links related to Japan and American Culture.
We check the validity of these links every couple months, but we cannot be responsible for another sites content. If you find that a link has become disabled, invalid or contains objectionable material, please contact the admin email account on the contact page, noting the link and a description of the problem.
JAS and Regional Links
- Loose Park Garden Center Tea Room
- Kansas City Japan Festival
- Kansas City Japan Council
- Japanese Festival at KU (Lawrence Kansas)
- Greater Kansas City Japan Club
- KC Wakaba-kai Youth Group
- Kansas City Ethnic Enrichment Festival
- Kansas City Sister Cities
- Kurashiki Youth Goodwill mission
- Japanese Consulate - Chicago
- National Association of Japan-America Societies NAJAS
- NAJAS J-Link community page
- Other JAS organizations in the US
- Kansas City Kendo
- Ginga Dojo (Iaido Martial Arts)
- Missouri Arts Council (MAC)
- Mizumoto Japanese Stroll Garden in Springfield, MO
- CIA Factbook on Japan
- Springfield Missouri Sister City, Isesaki Japan
- St. Louis Japan-America Society
- St. Louis Sister City, Suwa Japan
- The JET Program (Japan English Teaching
- JET Alumni Homepage
News (English and Japanese)
- NHK Japanese
- NHK English
- News on Japan News Feeds
Movie and TV Programs about Japan
Films available on DVD from PBS
- PBS Nova - Japan's Secret Garden
- PBS Nova - Origins of the Ainu
- PBS Nova - Secrets of the Samurai Sword
- PBS Nova - Sinking the Supership - Yamamoto
- PBS - Children of the Camps - Internment History
- PBS - Japan: Memoirs of a Secret Empire
- PBS - Essential Films by Akira Kurosawa
- PBS - History Detectives - Japanese House
- PBS - American Experience Bataan Rescue (Philippines)
US Government Produced Films, Old Propaganda and otherwise
Several of the propaganda films below could easily be deemed offensive and are here linked as an historical perspective. If you are offended by war and propaganda subject matter, do not watch these films. If you do choose to watch them, it may be valuable to read some of the comments left by others on the movie pages at the Internet Archive to see what viewers have said about them. There are many sides and opinions of war and in many ways it is completely incomprehensible.
- Documentary prior to Pearl harbor - Children of Japan available at the internet archive. 10 min.
- Documentary post Pearl Harbor 1943 - Our Enemy, The Japanese - 19 min (U.S. Naval Propaganda Film)
- Propaganda Film - My Japan - Complex and disturbing anti-Japanese propaganda film produced to spur the sale of U.S. war bonds. CONTENT ADVISORY: Explicit racism and extreme violence.
- U.S. Gov't Film - Japanese Relocation (ca. 1943) - U.S. government-produced film defending the World War II internment of Japanese American citizens.
- U.S. Gov't film - A Tale of Two Cities (1946) - How the atomic bomb destroyed the people and cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan.
- U.S. Propaganda Film - A Challenge To Democracy - Government-produced film attempting to defend the massive internment of Japanese Americans in concentration camps during World War II.
Language / Learning
- Japanese at About.com
- Indiana University Japan Learning
- Purdue University Japanese Resources
- Japanese Writing Games
- Japanese Dictionary
- Kana Project
- Kanji Practice at Dartmouth U.
- Stanford Reischauer Scholars Program
- Language Learning and Travel Homestay Company
- Japan Guide.com
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs Japan
- The Gaijin Pot
- Introduction to Japan Culture
- Japanese Lifestyle
- Quirky Japan
- Japan Zone
- Japan Baseball League NPB
- About Japanese Baseball
- Learn to draw Manga
- Midwest Institute of Usui Reiki Ryôhô